Sunday, August 7, 2011

Can I Get Subtitles Please?

Alright, so lets see....

I live with my boyfriend and his mother. They are Filipino. English is a second language easily spoken by both of them. But his mother prefers to speak in Filipino. Especially when she's on the phone with her siblings. When she's on the phone it's one thing, but when she's talking to Jay in the car in front of me, or about me when i occasionally hear my name said, I would appreciate her speaking in English. Personally I feel it is rude to contribute to a conversation, in a language where one participant doesn't speak it or know what you're saying. Equally so, when you're speaking that person hear's their name. Its a bit rude to talk about someone in front of them in another language. Even if it's not something bad, even if you're just referring to them. I don't know that. All I know is that I hear my name sometimes more than once. I just feel like it's rude. Alternately I'm constantly asking Jay what they said. I feel left out, more like I don't belong. I understand it may be easier for her to use Filipino, but at the same time, its still rude. I'm trying to learn the language myself but its really difficult, especially without any consistent learning just me asking Jay what some words means.

I made a joke a few nights ago that was the reason for the title of this blog. His mom was on the phone with her sister working some plans out for us to watch their dogs. (That post will come tomorrow pictures and all.) And I heard my name once or twice and she was just babbling away. Jay was in a bad mood and so was I. I was trying to cheer us both up and I was thinking about his mom going off in Filipino and suddenly I had this thought and started giggling. I lean over to Jay while he's driving and I go. "Can I get subtitles please?" and we both just lost our minds. The whole drive I was making jokes about my subtitles being broken, first they were in French, then in German, then in Spanish. It was just hilarious. I had a big kick with it and Jay cheered up some too. *love*

But that's what people in love do for each other. They put one another at ease. They cheer each other up. I have so much love for Jay, and that's why I am going to keep trying to either lean Filipino, or learn those damn German subtitles. *love*

No comments:

Post a Comment