Monday, August 15, 2011

The Dangers of Rubbing Alcohol

Oh what a night Jay and I had last night. But before I can get to that, I need to start this story from earlier in the day.

I woke up just fine yesterday nothing wrong with me. At around 11 - 11:30 I was getting ready for work. My left shoulder started to hurt. Felt a little bit like a pinched nerve. I favored it a little bit, and continued getting ready. As my day went on, with no heavy lifting or anything strenuous, my arm proceeded to get worse. I went home at 4, took one of Jay's Vicodin, he'd been given some 2 weeks ago to deal with the bad infection from his cavity, and rested till 5:30. Then I had to go back to work for a store meeting at 6. I told Jay if my arm got worse we'd have to go in and have it looked it. I won't get into the long details of my pain, but lets just say up until that hour, I was able to hold my arms in at least one comfortable position, with no pain at all. But by the time we were done at 7, I was close to tears, and in a great deal of pain no matter what I did. I was shivering from the pain it was so bad. Jay had picked me up, he'd drove since I'd taken a pain killer, and as soon as I got into the car I told him I needed to go into the ER. He took me straight there. On our way in I called mom and let her know what was going on, and then Cassie.

After we got there and I registered, we didn't have to wait long before I was called in. The triage *sp* nurse was a bitch because I didn't happen to know the fucking name of my birth control pills *eyeroll*. Then she was gonna take us to room 5 but as we were just entering one of the guys back there said he had an emergency rolling into that room from the ambulance, so we were just shifted over into the room next to that, just when the guy was being brought in.

As we sat and waited to be seen, we could hear the guy in the next room talking. Clearly drunk, very harsh coarse voice, he was a bit of an older guy, probably in his 60's. He was arguing with the nurses and stuff, he didn't want something or other. Then a little later the nurse came back into his room. I guess he'd been complain that he couldn't breath. She argued with him, and it turned out he "couldn't breathe" because of the reason he was in there. She said if he REALLY couldn't breathe, that she'd sedate him and give him a breathing apparatus. He said that he could breath but it FELT like he couldn't and she told him "Then do not claim you can't breathe. we take that very seriously here." So at some point the guy's daughter showed up, and she is on the side with the Dr.'s and nurses and stuff, arguing with him as well. Then another guy finally came in and started asking questions. We kept hearing the old guy say "I! DIDN'T! MEAN! TO!"

It turns out he was so fucking drunk, he wasn't paying attention to what he was drinking and wound up drinking part of a bottle of rubbing alcohol! He was talking about his throat hurting and he couldn't breath and the nurses kept telling him they can't give him something to drink right now but if he stopped talking his saliva would formulate and go down his throat and help to open his airways, but of course, being drunk he wouldn't shut up for anything.

All of this took place over roughly 4 hours while Jay and I were waiting between visits to our room. So in the meanwhile, I was visited, asked questions, and had the RN or whoever move my arm around, in a few painful locations. Then the nurse came in and he put an IV into my forearm, and gave me morphine. My stomach was empty so that made me feel even more hungry. Right as he was finishing up the two people came to take me and get x-rays. That was okayish, no pain except for one way I had to move my arm that brought tears to my eyes.

An HOUR after my x rays, the Dr. himself finally came in and saw me. He said my X-rays said I was just fine, and from how I'd reacted when my arm had been examined, what I had is something called Nerve Entrapment.

According to Right Health . com... "Nerve entrapment syndromes pertain to medical conditions wherein the nerves become entrapped or restricted in certain areas of the extremities. To decompress the nerves, surgery can be performed on the affected area. Neurosurgeons, orthopedic doctors and plastic surgeons are the medical professional that performs such surgeries. The syndromes manifests with pain of the nerves or with loss of function in the nerves. Nerve Entrapment Syndromes occur when nerves sustain chronic injury usually from stressful or repeated trauma."


I would have to see the Orthopedic doctor, we had the choice of waiting that night to see him or I could call today and make an appointment. We would have waited, but there were a couple of case a head of me, including someone with a dislocated hip or slipped hip or SOMETHING like that. And there was something else a head of us too so they had no clue how much longer we'd be waiting. We'd been there just over 3 hours already. So we decided to go with the sling and just call the ortho today. He was going to prescribe me Vicodin, a sling and 3 days from work.


It took just over an hour to get all of that. During that time we heard a man being wheeled in down the hall several rooms away. He was just screaming at the top of his lungs.Screaming stuff like, "AAAHHHHH OH DEAR GOD HELP ME!" he was in A LOT of pain. He was screaming so loud and so hard he sounded like the background screams of horror that you hear in the movies at one of those asylums that torture the "patients" sort of thing. It was REALLY bad, really cringe worthy. I felt bad for the guy. They either put him on a pain killer, or they full of sedated him cuz he just randomly stopped screaming. The nurse came in just after eleven, he took the IV opening out of my arm (I wasn't on a drip or anything just the hardware was still in me from getting the morphine) and put the sling on me, telling me how it should look and feel when wearing it.


We left and I was SO hungry and SO tired, that we went right to McDonald's. I had a number 9 crispy chicken meal AND an additional McChicken sandwich. I had both sandwiches almost fully finished before Jay'd even eaten all his fries. I was that damn hungry lol. Halfway through my second sandwich, Jay tells me that whenever he was on morphine and he tried to eat he always got sick. I was so hungry it took about half a second for me to think about it, shrug, and tell him it was worth it before going back to eating haha.


I'm doing better right now, but the pain is coming back again little by little. I haven't had a Vicodin in about 6 hours, I do not want to rely on it, that would be bad. But at the rate the pain is returning I will probably take one before bed so that I can actually sleep.


Jay didn't leave my side once last night. He was so worried about me, and he was very comforting he did a wonderful job to make me feel better, and help me forget about being in the ER, etc. He's so wonderful, he really took great care of me yesterday. He'd yell at me for even moving my fingers let alone my entire arm. I love him so much. He's been taking good care of me today too, making sure I'm okay and eating well, and what not. I'm very lucky to have him. And I appreciate him so much, and I'm so glad that I have him. <3


Anyway I am off for now. I'll keep you all updated on how I'm doing!


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment